Thursday, July 7, 2011

Local woman sells life story

PROVIDENCE, RI--Melanie Sharkey thought she had done it all. She had climbed Mount Washington in New Hampshire. She had gone to New York City. She had even gone apple picking in the fall. So when Sharkey, 32, wrote a treatment for the script to her life story, entitled "Oh, What a Life," the Rite Aid clerk felt it was a sure bet to be bought by the biggest of the big Hollywood hot shots.

"With everything I've done, I couldn't imagine how it wouldn't be bought by Spielberg," Sharkey said through her agent, her cousin Sal Mineola. "I've done everything someone from Rhode Island could ever dream of and more. One time I even went to the Mall of America."

After weeks of rejection from the biggest names' agents, Sharkey set her sights on smaller venues.

"I needed my story out there. My story--the story of all 30-something females from Rhode Island--just had to be brought to a bigger audience. A lot more goes on here than you might think," Sharkey said.

Sharkey said she approached a number of local independent filmmakers, all of whom rejected her script.

"It hurt," Sharkey said. "I mean, I understand it may have come out like a horror movie or some really indy black and white thing as opposed to an epic love story with some special effects, but I would've been okay with that."

In the end, Sharkey was able to sell her movie, for a total of eight dollar and a VIP seat at the premiere, to the film production class at Providence's own Mount Pleasant High School.

"I'm excited to see what they do with [the script]," Sharkey said. "They have a lot to work with."

No comments:

Post a Comment